Relevant Personal and Professional Experience
I am a slightly African, very American queer woman who is a first-generation college and graduate school graduate. I come from a long line of working-class survivors and intrepid women and am inspired by my ancestors’ experiences and courage. In addition, I am a Yoruba-Lukumi priest of Ogun. These rich experiences inform how I conduct psychotherapy and case consultation, as well as my scholarly and creative writing.
I have worked as a psychotherapist and consulted with various nonprofit organizations as a trainer, curricula developer, and grant writer since 1995. In the earlier stages of my career, I worked in foster care and adoption agencies, and with street-involved and homeless LGBTQ/GNC young adults of color. As a behavioral scientist, I have conducted research with and written about LGBTQI people of color since 1999.
After over a decade in academia, I provide copyediting services to those who want to take their writing to the next level. As for my own writing, I have been writing off and on for over thirty years. I write academic and creative nonfiction and fiction in order to positively impact the lives of others.
Education, Postgraduate Professional Training, Certification, and Licensure
- Doctor of Philosophy of Clinical Social Work, New York University, 2003 (psychodynamic psychotherapy focus)
- Master of Social Work, New York University, 1993
- Relevant Postgraduate Training
- Certified in Telemental Health, Person Centered Tech
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- EMDR Basic Training, EMDR Consulting
- Recent Traumatic Events Protocol (R-TEP), Humanitarian Assistance Program Traumatic Recovery Network
- Group Traumatic Events Protocol (G-TEP), Humanitarian Assistance Program Traumatic Recovery Network
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Completed Levels 1 & 2 Training
- EMDR Certified Therapist
- New York State Licensed Clinical Social Worker, R048439-01
- EMDRIA (EMDR International Association)
- GLMA: Health Professionals Advancing Equity
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
Writers’ Fellowships and Residencies
- 2019, Lambda Literary Writer-in-Residence
- 2017, Lambda Literary Fellowship in Nonfiction